The Great Escape

The Great Escape is a full service bicycle shop, featuring TREK and GARY FISHER bicycles. Our services include a complete range of bicycle accessories and a full service repair shop. In our Greenville and Spartanburg stores we also have an excellent hobby shop, specializing in Radio Control airplanes and cars, trains, rockets and plastic model of all types.

Friday, September 24, 2010

I don't know my left from right.


From Left to Right Joe (our fearless leader), yours truly, and Valerie (her second Wednesday ride with us).


Ah the Wednesday night recovery ride. The chance to spin just a little easier than the night before at Donaldson Center, or at least sometimes it is. Tonight some of the usual suspects were called away, so it was that myself, our fearless leader Joe, and our newly adopted friend of "The Great Escape Bicycle Shop" Valerie shared a fun ride.

Our leader Joe shared some valuable riding tips for us. Things such as pedaling through the spin taking pressure of the non pedaling leg and pulling through a full 360 spin. He also pointed out the value of using the small chainring, finding a comfortable gear, and spinning up the hills rather than just powering through by standing. We appreciate you Joe for the knowledge you bring to the rides and share.

We took turns pulling our short but happy train along the, mostly country, roads on our approximately 27 mile route. We encountered a combination of nice smooth roads, some not so smooth roads, some serious railroad tracks, and some unleashed dogs that were pretty good sprinters.

"So ride leader which way do we turn at the stop sign?" said Joe. "Hmm" I replied. "Ah right?" "No Left" Joe responded with a slight smile. "Wow, the jig is up" I said to myself. My most serious deficit is about to be discovered. My sense of direction is so bad I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag. I mean I sometimes get turned around going to my mailbox and it is nailed to the wall by my door. The test continued and sometimes I got it right, but mostly I got it wrong.

I'm in bad need of a good GPS. Fortunately "The Great Escape" is about to get the line of Garmin GPS units. They are already coming in. I'm certainly getting one for my bike. We also have a neat selection of the watch style Garmin units for runners. They can monitor heart rate, time, speed, and you can even race against yourself with them.

If you plan to attend our Wednesday evening ride which meets behind "The Great Escape" at 6PM, or the Paris Mountain ride on Saturday mornings at 7am, give us a call the day before at the shop. The Paris Mountain ride with continue even when daylight savings ends depending on the weather.

Thanks for reading my blog. If you like ti click to become a follower to make sure you don't miss the frequent updates.

Thanks for reading,
Steven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home